Monday 15 August 2011

Why "design?"



Designer a person who devises or executes designs, especially one who creates forms, structures, and patterns, as for works of art or machines.

I wanted to become a designer is because I wanted an interesting and unique career, didn’t really want to follow a family trend for a typical office job. Through-out my life I had interest in drawing, where some believe it is a talent. During senior years of high school I had attempts of not following a dream of being a designer, where I admit I did have regrets. It took awhile to find a challenging and something I’m passionate to do. From then on my aim was to study industrial design and it hasn’t change since Yr 12. But while studying the course now I think this is what I wanted.

An industrial designer to me is like an inventor and a combination of an artist not only the products are designed are pretty but benefits the user. E.g. Design of medical products. Where the diversity of design wouldn’t limit my career into one field of a certain industry but it can change according to different design briefs designers are assigned.

I’ve chosen UNSW is because I believe it’s a better university than any other Industrial design institutional in Sydney. I had offers from institutional like Enmore Tafe etc, but UNSW would allow me to have more hands on skills while working in the actual field in the future. And after the experience at UNSW I have learnt a lot that I didn’t expect industrial designers need to do. I thought design just draw but I also realize they need to make models too. As a girl I havent used any massive tools in my life but after building my first model, it feels awesome! That I can make something and it’s not a man thing anymore.

I’m hoping my future as an industrial design will come true and have serious experience in the industry. I would want to specialize on design in technology and homeware products. But at the meantime I will work as hard as I can to reach towards this goal. It would also be rewarding to make products I will desire to have or maybe seeing others enjoy the use of that product.



No comments:

Post a Comment